Monday, September 23, 2013

Kodiak 11 Mile Race


It's a wonderful world. You can't go backwards. You're always moving forward. It's the wonderful part about life. And that's terrific.
Harvey Fierstein 




This weekend I attempted to finish the Kodiak 100 mile race. Unfortunately my son had been sick last week, and by Thursday evening I was not feeling to hot. I figured I could just fight it off, and still run the race. By Friday morning I was pretty damn sick. I pumped all kinds of remedies and vitamins all day Friday, but by the 6pm Friday night start time I was riddled with a fever, and feeling pretty bad. I still toed the line, and hoped for the best. By mile 11 I knew it was not gonna be a race I could finish. I left the mile 11 aid station torn with what to do. My love Jesse gave me a kiss, and told me to be smart. I also was very lucky to have my dear friends Chris and Sharon Rodarte there helping with crew. I got about three miles out from the aid station, and stopped in my tracks. I was shivering in the night cold, and turned back to the aid station. It felt like it took me for ever to get back down the trail, but eventually I made it. I was so happy to still see my crew there, and quickly got myself in the warm car. 17 miles was enough for me that night, and I knew I had made the right decision. 

I have spent the last few days working on getting healthy, and I can say as for today I am finally feeling a bit better. Lots and lots of rest was the best medicine. I most certainly had not intended Chimera 100 mile to be my key race this season, but it looks like it has turned out to be just that. I also am going to add Twin peaks 50 mile into the mix this next month as I am all trained, and ready to run something! I am chomping at the bits now to do something with all this training! 

As far as the Kodiak Race itself I honestly didn't get to see enough of the race course and organization to give an honest opinion or recap. I can save the 17 miles I saw were very well marked, loved the pre race meeting and organization, and the course was gorgeous from what I saw. Unfortunately it got pitch dark just an hour 20 mins after I started. I definitely would not prefer a night time start. Running a 100 miles is hard enough! Not sure why Race Directors feel the need to make it harder. I prefer a normal 6am start time, but thats just me. So in awe of everyone who finished that race! Amazing. 


Looking forward to the next few months, and some great racing. I am itching to do something with all these miles I have logged! :)

1 comment:

  1. You gave it an earnest try and that is all we can do for ourselves - great job staying positive, look forward to following your next adventure! Trace

    ReplyDelete